Slough Climbing Wall is open for adults and children (min. age 7), individuals and organised groups. Both novice and competent climbers are welcome . Find your access options below.
Before you book your session please make sure you are aware of the risks and benefits involved in this sport. If you are not sure please take a time and read the BMC article about children involved in climbing here: A parent's guide to climbing
The BMC Participation Statement say that: The BMC recognises that climbing and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.
Novice and beginners climbers can not use the wall unsupervised. Here are some options for you:
1. Social club for adults- is a great way to get involved in rock climbing. Regardless of your competency level, social club purpose remains the same - to meet other climbers, find climbing partners and learn from experienced coach. This session duration is 2 hours. The casual entry fee is £15.00 p/p
2. Private Tuition- 1 hour session with qualified and experienced instructor. This session is dedicated to individuals and group to improve their climbing skills, learn particular techniques or work with dedicated coach working on personal training programme.
If you are competent climber, you don't have to make any booking, however we will ask you to do a 'COMPETENCY TEST' upon arrival, which will determinate if you can access the wall or not. It is free of charge, quick practical test in basic climbing skills.
As a competent climber you can supervise up to two adult novice climbers or two children. You can teach them belaying, but under no circumstances you can allow them belay for you. You can also use our auto-balays
We offer for organised groups:
GCSE PE in rock climbing courses
Duke of Edinburgh phisical actvities
We do not offer any supervised climbing activities for children under the age of 6.
Studies show that rock climbing may benefit children general development.
We understand it is our responsibility to make sure the service we provide is appropriate to the age and abilities of all our Clients. Therefore we made the decision to allow bookings for children from the age of 6 years old. This is based on years of experience and observations. It is our recommendation, not a strict rule however. Some children mental and physical development allow them to understand the risk involved in this activity, follow instructions and enjoy rock climbing at much younger age.
The decision belongs to you. Ask yourself a few questions before you decide for your child to participate in climbing activity:
1. Have my child climbed before?
If yes, was that enjoyable experience ?
2. Is my child mental and physical development, mobility range, ability to understand the risk involved in the activity good enough to participate?
3. Am I ready to accept the failure of not being able to cope with the difficulties and stressful environment of climbing wall by my child? Will climbing benefit my child in any way now, or maybe, it's good idea to wait some time?
The final decision will be made by the qualified instructor, coach or member of our staff. You have to be ready to accept it.
1. Kids Climbing club - 1 hour shared session supervised by a qualified instructor. Maximum group capacity is 6.
2. Private Tuition- 1 hour lesson with a climbing coach. This option is suitable for individuals or groups and aims in teaching particular skills. We offer courses for GCSE, DofE, private coaching, lead climbing courses for children.